Mrs. Minaxi Lahoria is my 48yrs old patient who has a tinnitus problem, she is unable to sleep or concentrate on anything because of this problem. She is feeling it very uncomfortable to carry out her everyday routine. She has already taken a lot of medicines for this problem and nothing seems to work. She consulted me in despair seeking a solution.
After a detailed evaluation and explanation about tinnitus, she was recommended pure 2px hearing aids to solve her concerns.
What is tinnitus?
Our world is alive with sound. Laughter, unforgettable melodies, waves breaking on the shore, all these sounds enrich our lives and are literally music to our ears, lifting our mood, what happens when one sound suddenly takes control?
Tinnitus is the noise that originates from within the ear rather than from the outside environment. This may affect one or both ears. Unfortunately patient often learns from their doctors that their complaint is incurable. This kind of information makes patients feel isolated convinced that no one can understand what they are going through. Because tinnitus has many causes, so far we have no specific medication or patent cure for all types of tinnitus.
How a person does feel with tinnitus?
The noise differs from one person to the next in nature, pitch, and volume. Many describe the noise as a whistling, hissing, roaring, or ringing in the ear.
What are the types of tinnitus?
Acute Tinnitus – If the noise occurs only temporarily and soon disappears again for instance after a loud concert, it is called acute tinnitus.
Chronic Tinnitus – For millions of people, though the noises are permanent (more than six months), thus developing chronic tinnitus.
What are the possible causes of tinnitus?
- One of the most common causes of tinnitus is hearing loss. This may be due to blast injury or exposure to exceptionally loud music.
- Frequently occurs alongside sudden hearing loss.
- Stress is the most commonly quoted cause of tinnitus.
What are the other problems which you can face due to tinnitus?
How can tinnitus be diagnosed?
- Doctors may conduct ENT, dental, orthodontic, and orthopedic examinations.
- A hearing test can reveal whether the hearing impairment is also involved.
How can you cope with tinnitus? What are the treatment options available?
Even if there is no specific cause is determined, tinnitus can be treated. There are many possibilities to help patients find ways to cope with their condition. This means changing habits and attitudes so that tinnitus no longer controls your everyday life.
How can you manage tinnitus?
- Learning relaxation methods
- Practicing imaginary journeys to elicit positive emotions
- Transforming negative thoughts and attitudes into a helpful mindset
- Weaning off habits that encourage tinnitus
- Training for use of hearing instruments, noisers, combined devices, or other audio sources to deflect attention away from tinnitus.
- Tinnitus noiser is one of the popular and most effective ways of tinnitus management.
Modern technology can help subdue tinnitus. The main principle is allowing your brain to hear and therefore focus on external sound rather than tinnitus.
What are noisers?
- Noisers are for people without hearing loss.
- They look like hearing instruments but do not amplify the sounds in the environment.
- They generate a soft murmur that is mixed in with the tinnitus to distract the patient from the tinnitus.
- Noisers generally offer considerable relief from tinnitus.
What are hearing instruments?
- Sometimes wearing hearing instruments both improves hearing and alleviates tinnitus.
- The reason being that if you can hear better, you can also ignore tinnitus better.
- Hearing instruments pick up ambient sound over a microphone and amplify it before passing it onto the ear.
- This enables wearers to better focus on the noises, sounds, and tones around them.
- The rustle of leaves in the forest, friendly conversation, or beautiful music restore the emphasis on pleasant hearing impressions and narrow the scope of tinnitus.
- In many cases, users scarcely or don’t hear the tinnitus at all as soon as the hearing instrument is switched on.
What are tinnitus combined devices?
- Some hearing instruments also feature a noiser function.
- As hearing instruments can only amplify noises actually present around us, they are of little use as tinnitus therapy tools in very quiet hearing environments.
- This is when the noiser function can be helpful.
- In these situations, the noiser can generate a soft noise to distract the patient from the tinnitus.
- In modern hearing instruments, like those from Signia Seimens, various hearing programs can be selected at the touch of a button: pure hearing instrument function, purely noiser function, or the combination of two.
What are the tips for living with tinnitus?
- Relearning how to hear
- Have a good night sleep
- Get active, stay on the move
- Avoid silence
- Promote physical fitness
- Learn to relax effectively
Mrs. Minaxi Lahoria is very happy and contented after resolving all her problems, she has been using hearing aids for the past 6 months and has found a considerable amount of relief from tinnitus. She is comfortable in carrying on with the daily routine and she feels that the tinnitus is subsided.
List of hearing instruments which has a tinnitus option in it are as follows,
- Pure/motion/cellion 2px
- Pure/motion/cellion 3px
- Pure/motion/cellion 5px
- Pure/motion/cellion 7px
- Pure/motion 3Nx
- Pure/motion 5Nx
- Pure/motion 7Nx
- Pure charge and go 3Nx/5Nx/7nx