Mrs Doshi is my 80 years old client who has been using hearing aids for almost the last 12 years. She lately has been experiencing tremors and decreased vision. She drops small things often. She had been using battery-operated hearing aids all this while. But lately, she has started facing difficulties in handling them. She approached me for getting her new hearing aids. She reported that often her batteries would slip off from her hands and fall on the ground. She finds it difficult to find them at times. She also has tremors which make it difficult for her to remove and put batteries into the hearing aids. She is an independent woman and although she has access to domestic help, she prefers to do things herself. After a detailed examination and understanding her listening needs, she was recommended Motion Charge & Go Rechargeable Hearing aids to solve her concerns.
The rechargeable hearing aids in Signia range belong to Nx platform. These hearing aids are compact aids with an inbuilt Lithium-Ion battery, similar to our smartphones. There are no small parts which need to be manipulated while using them. There is ease of handling and charging them.
They have to be charged using Inductive wireless charger. As the name suggests, it is wireless. One has to just keep hearing aids in the charging slots for charging. There is no cable or wire that needs to be put into hearing aids. The inductive charger needs current supply from mains- quite similar to a mobile charger. For people who travel to different countries, there are 3 different power plugs which can be used. Adapters can easily fit onto those plugs as and when required.
Following are the steps for using Inductive Charger
- Assemble it: Connect the power plug to the USB provided and plug it into the charger.
- Once the top of the charger indicates a single Green LED, it means that the charger is correctly connected and ready for use
- Put the rechargeable hearing aids in the charging slots such that their colour indicators are visible from top (red and blue).
- Once you put the hearing aids in the charging slots, the green LED will start flashing and then stabilize to display the charging status of hearing aids.
- Then Orange LEDs will be displayed indicating the battery status of hearing aids ( Single Orange LED- 0-33 %, Two orange LEDs- 34-66%, Three Orange LEDs- 67-99%)
- When three Green LEDs are displayed, it means that the hearing aids are completely charged and are ready to be used.
It takes about 3-4 hours to completely charge the hearing aids.
Mrs Doshi initially got a little concerned about using them. Let us have a look at her concerns.
- What if I leave the hearing aids in the charger and forget to switch the charger off? Will it damage the hearing aids?
No, it won’t. Even if the hearing aids are left in the charger in spite of charging them completely, they would cut off automatically. There is no heating problem too as the charger is inductive.
So you can sleep peacefully after putting hearing aids for charging and they would be ready to use once you get up at morning
- Can I use regular zinc-air batteries in these hearing aids interchangeably? What to do when there is a power cut-off issue? How will I change it?
No, the rechargeable hearing aids cannot be powered through regular batteries. If you have an inverter, you could charge the hearing aids using it. If you do not have an inverter, buy a power bank and keep it charged. If at all you have no access to the power supply, use the power bank to charge the hearing aids by connecting the USB directly into it. It can also be charged using other electronic gadgets like a laptop ( using the USB port)
- Can the inbuilt battery be replaced if need be? How will I know if there is a need for replacing the battery?
Yes, it can be replaced. It has to be sent to the lab for doing so. If completely charged hearing aids do not last you for a full day of use, please contact your service provider.
- What will happen if I forget to charge my hearing aids someday and I need to use hearing aids?
They would get switched- off when the battery is exhausted. There is an option of fast charging for 30 minutes with which you can use the hearing aids for up to 7 hours.
- Are there specific slots for left and right hearing aids or they can be kept in any slot?
There are no specific slots for left and right. You don’t have to worry about it. Keep it in any slot and charge it.
- Do I need to charge them daily?
It is recommended that you charge the hearing aids in your inductive charger daily.
After resolving all her concerns and giving her practice with the placement of hearing aids in charging slots, she was happy to take them home.
She has been using the hearing aids for the last 6 months and has been pleased with this hassle-free hearing aids. She doesn’t have to worry about stocking up the batteries and carrying extra batteries with her wherever she goes. She just has to charge the devices completely and she is ready to go. What she likes about them the most is that whenever she goes to listen to Satsang, the rechargeable hearing aids do not ditch her like the battery-operated hearing aids which would start beeping indicating low battery anytime. Changing the battery used to be so much of a hassle especially when she is in middle of something. She is happy and enjoys her Motion Charge & Go 3Nx hearing aids thoroughly.
Are you ready to experience these hassle-free and awesome hearing aids with wireless charging?
The inductive charger is compatible with following hearing aids:
- RIC Pure Charge&Go 7Nx
- BTE Motion Charge&Go 7Nx
- RIC Pure Charge&Go 5Nx
- BTE Motion Charge&Go 5Nx
- RIC Pure Charge&Go 3Nx
- BTE Motion Charge&Go 3Nx
- RIC Pure Charge&Go 2Nx
- BTE Motion Charge&Go 2Nx
- RIC Pure Charge&Go 1Nx
- BTE Motion Charge&Go 1Nx
- RIC Cellion 2Px
- RIC Cellion 3Px
- RIC Cellion 5Px
- RIC Cellion 7Px
The name has been changed for maintaining confidentiality.
Mrs Madhura Gokhale.
I am a Senior Audiologist working at Aanvii Hearing, Pune. I have graduated with a Master’s Degree in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology( MASLP), from the AYJNISHD, Mumbai. I have 5+ years of experience in the field of Audiology.